Sunday, November 15, 2009





Leslie's custard ice cream mixture

1 egg
1 cup sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups heavy thickened cream, I use home brand
1 tsp vanilla

I use my Bamix - stick blender and mix it all well.

Turn on hotplate, when hot, put saucepan on top of it and stir for two minutes while it gets hot. Do not boil. Take off hotplate and immediately strain into a bowl. Cool for an hour or so, then gladwrap and place in fridge for 24 hours.

My shortcut that I use every time now, is, when cool, place in freezer, gladwrapped for an hour, with the flavouring (or fruit mixture) added to it, then run it through the ice cream maker.

Takes less than 30 minutes to run it through. Takes a day to set hard.

Butterscotch Sauce for all sorts of good things

1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla or 1 tsp of the good vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

Put in sauce pan and cook while stirring for 5 minutes. Let cool and store in fridge. Can be used to pour over ice cream as a topping, or to make butterscotch ice cream or in milk shakes.

To make butterscotch ice cream you combine the two mixtures and put them through the ice cream maker.

5 comments:

BB said...

This is getting BOOKMARKED!!!
:-)
BB

nancyhol said...

Oh, yum, those recipes sound so good!

girasoli said...

When I first saw this photo, I was sure if would have came from your trip! You surprised me. Looks yummy!!

Trekcapri said...

Hi from Scotland Leslie! This looks really delicious. Thanks so much for posting and sharing.

Gerry said...

Oh dear. This is going to be one of those things I can't resist, isn't it?