Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Footprints in the snow

For university English I was very lucky as I got to study the poetry of Ted Hughes. One poem in particular means a lot to me and this evening while I was out in the garden in the sleet in the frost... (my son is helping with a garden remodel) this poem came into my mind.

The Thought Fox

I imagine this midnight moment's forest:
Something else is alive
Beside the clock's loneliness
And this blank page where my fingers move.

Through the window I see no star:
Something more near
Though deeper within darkness
Is entering the loneliness:

Cold, delicately as the dark snow
A fox's nose touches twig, leaf;
Two eyes serve a movement, that now
And again now, and now, and now

Sets neat prints into the snow
Between trees, and warily a lame
Shadow lags by stump and in hollow
Of a body that is bold to come

Across clearings, an eye,
A widening deepening greenness,
Brilliantly, concentratedly,
Coming about its own business

Till, with a sudden sharp hot stink of fox
It enters the dark hole of the head.
The window is starless still; the clock ticks,
The page is printed.



- This is Tara, a blogging friend's siamese, not Pyewacket. :)

13 comments:

Tara said...

That was so beautiful, Mom's eye's are leaking! I don't think I've ever inspired anyone to remember such beautiful poetry before!

Thank you so much

Tara and Mom

Trekcapri said...

Leslie, thank you for sharing that beautiful poem and your friend's siamese is really beautiful. I love the photo.

Have a great day today.

Annie said...

Snow! Love the poem and the beautiful cat's footprints.

Angel MoMo and Charlotte said...

Great post - love the poem and the pic of the beautiful kitty on the snow! Thanks for sharing.

girasoli said...

Every time I read about a winter in Australia when it is summer here, I am always so surprised! I guess I still have not caught on to the concept of north vs south of the equator! Loved the poem and miss the snow.

Mickey's Musings said...

Ooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
That musy be cold on the toes!!!!!
Nice to see Tara :)
Purrs Mickey,Georgia & Tillie

Gerry said...

I've missed you, and came looking to see what you've been up to, and look at that . . . a Ted Hughes poem. You are full of surprises.

The seasons must be wheeling toward spring there, as they deepen into rich harvest time here. We know the snow is coming, but we glory in the autumn . . .

I hope that you and yours are all well and happy.

Annie said...

Hi Leslie, just wanted to say Happy New Year to you! Hope you are doing well.

Mickey's Musings said...

Thank you for your purrs for Mickey.
We really miss him and it will take
a while to get used to him bot being here.
Purrs Tillie and Georgia

Louisette said...

Lovely blog, greeting from Belgium

Annie said...

Hi Leslie, just wanted to say happy holidays and best wishes to you and yours! Annie

Annie said...

Thank you for your comment. So good to hear from you! Happy happy holidays and 2012!

Annie said...

And have you been to Venice? I wasn't able to go this year, my last trip was November 2010. I hope to go back sometime in 2012. Peace! Annie