Saturday, December 15, 2007

Venice - Scala Contarini del Bovolo

Have you been to the Gothic staircase, Scala Contarini del Bovolo? I have to admit, it took me until my fifth trip to find it. That trip, I couldn't miss it, as I was staying at the little Alloggi dalla Scala, right next to it and had to walk past a few times a day to get to my hotel.

It's hidden in a small courtyard off the Campo Manin, in San Marco and dates back to 1499. You follow the yellow signs to get to the staircase. Did you know that an epsiode of a famous daytime saga was filmed there? Yes, someone bold was apparently chasing someone beautiful up those very stairs!


008ItaliaVeneziaBovolo.jpg


Guess what? I am going back to that little hotel, Alloggi all Scala, for the last couple of nights before I leave Italy to fly to Dubai for our short adventure there.

I'm not the only Slow Traveler to stay there. Girasoli was there in 1999, two years before my last stay in 2001. Since then, I have stayed in an apartment twice and also at a wonderful convent hotel.

No comments: